Competence Center Innovative Business Models & Competitive Strategies
This Competence Center focuses on issues affecting companies and their interaction within product and factor markets. Among other things, the Center deals with the following matters: for example, what are business development dimensions and drivers? How do companies interact with each other and with their environment? What are the properties and effects of these interactions? What is a competitive advantage? How can companies build a competitive advantage and benefit from it in a changing world?
At the same time, we examine how companies can create value with business model innovations and secure parts of this value for their own business. The objective is to make a contribution to business model research and, particularly, to enable companies or organizations to build their business model in a more strategic and differentiated manner.
Competence Center Management
Prof. Dr. Björn Ambos
Björn Ambos is a chair holder and professor of strategic management, and the Executive Director of the Institute of Management & Strategy (IoMS-HSG) at the University of St. Gallen. He holds a degree in business administration from the University of Hamburg and Florida State University, a degree in business administration and the title of Doctor of International Management from the University of Hamburg. Prof. Ambos received his habilitation at the Vienna University of Economics and Business.
Prof. Dr. Karolin Frankenberger
Prof. Dr. Karolin Frankenberger is Chair Owner and Director of the Institute of Management & Strategy (IoMS-HSG) of the University of St. Gallen. She is also academic director of the Executive MBA HSG. Previously, she was assistant professor at the University of Lucerne and the Institute of Technology Management at the University of St.Gallen and spent almost 7 years with the management consultancy McKinsey & Company. Her research is primarily concerned with Business Model Innovation and (Digital) Business Transformation.
- Alpers, I., & Ambos, B. (2017). Daimler AG – The electric revolution of the automobile. St. Gallen: The University of St. Gallen Case Collection.
- Gassmann, Oliver; Frankenberger, Karolin & Sauer, Roman: A Primer on Theoretically Exploring the Field of Business Model Innovation. In: The European Business Review January/February (2017), p. 45-48
- Gassmann, Oliver; Frankenberger, Karolin & Csik, Michaela: Developing Business Models: 55 Innovative Concepts with the St. Galler Business Model Navigator. 2. Edition. Munich: Hanser Publishers, 2017.
- Gassmann, Oliver; Frankenberger, Karolin; Sauer, Roman; Emmonet, Susanne & Amann, Carsten (2017) Successful Development and Implementation of New Business Models: Approaches to Business Model Innovations Management and Organization. Controlling: Magazine for Success-oriented Corporate Management, 29(2).
- Gassmann, Oliver; Frankenberger, Karolin & Sauer, Roman: Exploring the Field of Business Model Innovation – New Theoretical Perspectives. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2016.
- Gassmann, Oliver & Frankenberger, Karolin: Developing Business Models: From Art to Craft. In Business Model Innovations. Wiesbaden: Springer, 2016, p. 17-33.
- Almahendra, R. & Ambos, B. (2015). Exploration and Exploitation: A-20 Year Review Of Evolution and Reconceptualization, International Journal of Innovation Management, 19(1).
- Frankenberger, Karolin; Gassmann, Oliver; Sauer, Roman; Lee, Jae Yong & Meister, Christoph: CEWE: Business Model Innovation – When Disruptive Technologies Hit You. The Case Center, 2015.
- Rogbeer, S., Almahendra, R., Ambos, B. (2015). Open Innovation Effectiveness: When does the Macro-Design of Alliance Portfolios Matter?, Journal of International Management
- Frankenberger, Karolin; Weiblen, Tobias; Csik, Michaela & Gassmann, Oliver (2013) The 4I-framework of business model innovation: A structured view on process phases and challenges. International Journal of Product Development, 18 (3/4). 249-273.
- Frankenberger, Karolin; Weiblen, Tobias & Gassmann, Oliver (2013). Network configuration, customer centricity, and performance of open business models : A solution provider perspective. Industrial Marketing Management, 42 (5): 671-682.
- Nell, P., Ambos, B. (2011): Global Pharma – The End of a Successful Business Model?, in: J. Zentis, B. Swoboda, Morschett, D. (Eds.), Case Studies on International Management: 4th ed., Gabler.